Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Vindicator #1 - Day 3

I managed to drag myself out of bed a bit early and grabbed some airbrush time.

The dozer blade had the honor of being the first part of the model to receive paint.  I want to make those hazard stripes happen and it's easier to paint the stripes first and then mask them off rather than the other way around.  The dozer blade is also the only part of the painting that I can do in short little chunks.

So, we start with a basecoat of Iyanden Darksun.  It's not as 'Kapow!"  Yellow as the final product will be, but it's a great base for a gradient owing to it's opacity.

Then I move onto a solid coat of Tamiya Flat yellow.  Again, I'm using the Tamiya paints because they work so well with an airbrush.  I left just a bit of the darker color showing at the bottom but you can't really see it in the picture.

Next, I ligtened the yellow up with some Tamiya Flat white for the final part of the gradient.  Again, the picture is kinda shit so the overall effect looks much mroe washed out than it is.

At this point, it was off to work.  Which is pretty helpful here since the paint had more than enough time to dry before I masked off the stripes.

My intention was to have the stripes go up and down both sides of the gun cut out, but dealing with the curvature of the blade and the little winged skull were making things difficulty.  Rather than risk dealing with a hours of added hand painting as I tried to fix inevitable  mistakes, I just masked off the problem areas.

Aaaaand, that its all for day 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment