On the plus side, Karitas left me some food for thought in the comments. The part about my pre-shading being largely unnecessary will save a lot of time and frustration in the future.
Moving on- I may not have met my wild-ass projections, but I got a ton of work done.
First up for the day were the decals. It's important to get them on before the weathering takes place so that they'll get worked into the overall effect.
|Masking with some frisket and tape.|
|A nice white background sealed to make it glossy and, thusly, better for decals|
|click for full size|
This is the point where I ran into the fact that I just hadn't thought my process out fully. My original intention was to do the oil washes and most of the weathering. But it dawned on me that the metallic parts and the details would need to be in place before that in order to prevent them from drawing too much attention to themselves.
So I masked off some of the larger areas and sprayed them Boltgun metal while I did the treads and scored a twofer.
|You can see that I also started in on some of the other details as well|
|Dozer blade lookin' mighty fine so far|
I've still got a bunch of areas that need to be hit with Boltgun Metal (really not looking forward to the wheels) before I even get to the washes that'll complete the metal bits. So that's probably what I'll be doing in the foreseeable future. But once that frustration is over, then it's a short little jaunt to being complete.